Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bloodlines - Review

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

By: Richelle Mead

Published: August 23, 2011 by Razorbill

421 pages

Source: Borrowed from my sister-n-law

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...

I'm a love story kind of girl, and so this book fell a little short in my rating because it just didn't have one. The dalliance between Lee and Jill wasn't a strong enough part of the story to qualify as a "love story". (IMO) Going from the Vampire Academy series with the strong chemistry between Rose and Dimitri from day 1, to this, was slightly a disappointment to me.  I liked it, enjoyed it even, but didn't "really like it". 

I love Adrian's character, his sarcasm and wit, but wished there was more for him and his part of the story. I will say that there was a big surprise in the book, and I always love a book that I can't see what's coming in the story line.  Definitely a worthwhile read by Richelle Mead! I look forward to the next installment.  I give this book 3.8 stars. (Originally added on Goodreads May 2012)


5 comments:

  1. I agree with this- it wasn't much about love. The love was subtler. It felt real to me though. LOve doesn't come from no where it has to be built up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked this book up for a steal at Half Price Books--it was on clearance for $2!! I can't wait to read it and The Golden Lily, but I should probably read The Vampire Academy books first, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a huge Richelle Mead fan, it's always sad to find someone who didn't enjoy the Bloodlines books, but I agree with you - Rose and Dimitri were such a strong couple in VA, and we didn't see that as much in Bloodlines. Also, I'm an Adrian fan, all the way, so I did want to see more of him in this than we did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian is awesome, isn't he. I wanted more of him too. Thanks goodness for the next book! Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this review.. now I have to read!!! I know where to come to get honest reviews! I'm also a Vamps vs. Zombies entrant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...