Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Review

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1)

By: Rae Carson

Published: September 20, 2011 by Greenwillow

424 pages

Source: Checked out at my local library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary: 
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one. 


But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. 


Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.


And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.


Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn't die young.


Most of the chosen do.

This book seemed very original to me in the idea of its characters, setting and plot. At first it was a bit hard for me to get in to. By 3/4 of the way through the book I was surprised by pleasantly surprised and intrigued by the events. What I loved most about this book was that the heroine of the story is someone that you wouldn't expect. She isn't your typical "beautiful skinny" girl that so many books tend to have as the lead female character. Her attributes and characteristics are far more interesting to me than the outward appearance. That was very refreshing. I did find parts of this book to be slow, but the ending was really good and definitely left me wanting to know what happens next in book 2. There were also a few teary eyed moments, which always amps up the love I have for any book. I especially loved the quote "...God picked me because I was unworthy". 3.5 stars. (originally posted on Goodreads May 2012)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I been wanting to read this book for awhile (this may partially be due to the cover), but haven't snagged a copy yet. It's good to hear that the characters are much more than the typical "beautiful" Mary Sues we see all the time in YA these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ Also, I'm in the Crazy, Stupid Love giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review! I've been wanting to read this for awhile but I haven't gotten ahold of it yet. The cover is my one of my favorites. Plus I'm apparently a sucker for book blurbs that start out with something like she is the chosen one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...