Thursday, March 21, 2013

Wait For You - Review

Wait For You

By: J. Lynn

Published: February 26, 2013 by J. Lynn

332 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
Some things are worth waiting for…

Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago—an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe—please God—make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn’t need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing…

Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that’s just so… so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed.

Some things should never be kept quiet…

But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?

And some things are worth fighting for…
My Review:
My first immediate reaction upon starting this book was "Oh no.  Not another book about a college girl who was raped as a young teen, who therefore has some issues she hasn't overcome, falls for the older hot college player." (rolls eyes at predictability)  I was slightly annoyed with this seemingly overused theme at the start.  There were aspects of this story that were too similar to others I've previously read and those things also annoyed me...at first.  But let me clarify, and reassure any potential readers, that any annoyance was quickly replaced by one word...CAM.  Need I say more? (for those who have read, can I get a "Mm-mmm"?)

Meet Cam: "He was gorgeous in all the ways that made girls do stupid things.  He was tall, a good head or two taller than me and broad at the shoulders, but tapered at the waist.  An athlete's body - like a swimmer's.  Wavy black hair toppled over his forehead, brushing matching eyebrows.   Broad cheekbones and wide, expressive lips completed the package created for girls to drool over.  And with those sapphire-colored eyes, holy moley..."

19 year old Avery has moved from Texas to West Virginia to go to college and to escape what her life had turned into back home.  She makes 2 friends fairly quickly - Jacob and Brittany, and literally stumbles into none other than the hottest bachelor at the school.  But trust and relationships don't come easy to her so it takes time to get close to any of them.  Secrets are a part of everyone's past though, and as hot as Cam may be and as sweet as he is, he also hides secrets from his past.

This book is a journey of trust and discovery.  Despite my early on annoyances, it was way over shadowed by my love of a sweet romance story.  I felt what Avery was feeling and even got teary eyed at one point.  When an author can grip my heart strings, no matter what genre of book it is, then it seals the deal for me on what I love most about any story.

Favorite Quotes:
"I'm used to having girls throw themselves at me."..."Trying to jump on my back is new, though.  Kind of liked it." (Cam)

"It's like we're a catastrophe waiting to happen." (Cam)

"Oh, I'm a bad, bad boy." (Olllie) Cam shot his friend a look.  "Yeah, as in bad at spelling, math, english, cleaning up after yourself, talking to people, and I could go on."

My mouth opened and the worse kind of verbal vomit happened.  "I've never been in a relationship" (Avery) The moment those words came out of my mouth I wanted to kick myself in the boob.

"Well, to be honest, I was planning to woo you with my banana nut bread..." (Cam)

My body knew what to do, what it wanted, even though my brain was firing off so many warnings I felt like Homeland Security during a Code Red. (Avery)

But he was more than a swoon-worthy hot guy.  Cam was charming, nice, sweet, and funny.  He was the kind of guy you wanted to bring home and show off - the kind of guy that was never single for too long and the one you fell head over heels in love with.

People got out of the way for Cam.  He was like a hot Moses, parting a sea of drunk college students.  

Everything was okay.  Maybe not perfect, but life wasn't meant to be perfect.  It was messy and sometimes it was a disaster, but there was beauty in the messiness and there could be peace in the disaster.

Final Rating - 4.3 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...